Thursday 3 January 2013

Theme Tunes - Part 2



4)
This is from Peep Show another song that along with Gone Up in Flames, is a very get-up-and-go type of song that gets you in the mood. The song is called Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger. To me, the song is about someone having a breakdown and not knowing who they are or where/if they fit in, or you could look at it from the perspective of someone trying to get a grip on a world swarming with insanity. With a deeper look into all of these songs, I am starting to see how most connect to the actual programme or series itself, and that they are in fact carefully picked to suit the programme. In a way this makes the song seem better when you are just about to watch the programme and it comes up as the theme tune, as opposed to listening to it on your iPod or whatever, you concentrate on it more that way.





5)
The next song on the list is very different to the other appearances so far, as it is a classical type piece with no lyrics. This is the theme tune to the popular series Game of Thrones. I have to say its probably the lowest ranked in terms of my musical taste, but nevertheless its been considered enough to appear on the list. I suppose the thing that stands out most about this and that has appealed to me most is the layering of the different instruments, but most importantly the overriding cello (or double-bass - apologies) providing the low looming booming throughout.




6)
Choir of Young Believers' song Hollow Talk appeared in the Scandinavian crime drama The Bridge. Again, as with many of the songs here, it's very different out of the context of the programme, and doesn't have the same sort of quality and harrowing feel as it does when you listen to it as a theme tune at the beginning. The song is definitely haunting, but I suppose that the backdrop which it is played against certainly plays a part, and then the crescendo when you come to the end of each episode almost makes you well up, its a great song if you listen to it right.
The first video is the theme version, the second, full version follows.







I believe I have now come to the end. I thought I would have more but either I was wrong or they elude me, and will probably come back just after I post this. I know I have skipped out the classics: Star Wars, Hans Zimmer etc. but these are my favourite theme songs to this date, or at least the ones that have stood out the most to me. Please do not hesitate to leave any suggestions or potential additions to the list.

Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Could use a bit of LOTR too, but I guess that's verging more on film tunes and songs in the film, great post man. The Game of Thrones theme makes me wanna watch it now, is it worth getting into?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stefan, Lord of The Rings did cross my mind, but I wanted to stick more towards the T.V. series otherwise the list could potentially be endless. Game of Thrones is one of my favourite series ever, and yes I would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the songs in Part 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. if im honest, so do i, i suppose the songs in Part 1 are the songs that first came to mind

    ReplyDelete