Tuesday 25 December 2012

Theme Tunes - Part 1



This post is slightly different to my normal ones in the way that I will be talking about songs I have heard on TV programmes instead of profiles on artists. These songs are often, not always, but often by relatively unknown artists yet somehow the songs themselves are pretty famous and heard of.

As I write this, I wonder how long exactly this post will be, and I think it will be too long, so I'll split it up into different posts/parts consisting of a maximum of three songs in each post.


1)
The first is a song by Paul Weller that features in the BBC series Lead Balloon, and the song is called One Way Road. I have just looked up the song, and I'm pretty surprised to discover that Oasis wrote the original and the version that features on Lead Ballon Paul Weller's cover version. Although my loyalty lies with Oasis, I must say that I prefer Weller's version - it somehow really fits in to the programme itself. Here are both versions down below.







2)
The second on the list is from the popular series Skins, and the artist is Fat Segal. He is really really unknown and I haven't been able to find him on Spotify. It seems as though the little recognition he has is all generated from the theme tune of Skins. I have found that the theme tune for each series gets worse as Skins progresses - the first theme tune was the best and since then they've gradually gone downhill. Somehow they become even more electric as they go on. This doesn't take away from the feeling you get when you first hear the music and the opening video comes on and its just a great way to get into the next forty minutes or however long each episode is without adverts - I forget. When you have watched all six series, and heard all the theme tunes for each series, there is a great feeling of nostalgia once you hear the first theme tune after a long time, I suppose that's why I appear to have been slightly biased towards it and perhaps a bit too harsh about the rest. I shall leave both the full version of the song and a compilation of each theme song of the (so far) 6 series of Skins.







3)
The next one is also from a series I'm sure many British teenagers will be familiar with - The Inbetweeners. I won't go into as much depth on this one, but I reckon along with Flagpole Sitter by Harvey Danger (that song will be on the next part of this small series of posts) its perhaps my favourite song out of all the songs on this post, and perhaps also the one I have listened to most outside of television. Its just a really good song in general, and I know that's a poor analysis and pretty unoriginal but its just a get up and go song which I like a lot. For those of you who didn't already know, it is called Gone Up in Flames by Morning Runner.






This is not the end, but merely the beginning, there will be a couple more posts like this one coming soon.


4 comments:

  1. Personally I prefer Oasis's version of that song, it somehow seems more heartfelt, but I've seen the series and I think that Weller's does fit in to it better. Great post look forward to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for that morning runner song for ages, but i didn't know where it came from nor who it was by... thank you so much for putting me out of my misery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trust me i know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete