Sunday 23 December 2012

Alt-J (∆)


Alt-J are a Cambridge bred band, and although they formed in 2007, they didn't come into contact with exposure until earlier this year (2012).

∆ were properly heard by many when their album came out in around May 2012, and were almost an immediate success. So many people had heard Breezeblocks or Matilda thinking they were the first and had discovered a great new band, but now their novelty has worn off some of us. The band reminds me a bit of The xx although I know they have a different sound, I just think they are headed down the same route as The xx were. To clear it up, lots of people had heard songs like Crystalised or VCR and they were played to death by some radio stations, similar to the way that Breezeblocks and Tessellate have been played a lot. In the same way that the novelty of The xx had worn out by the release of their second album, I predict the same will happen to Alt-J, but perhaps I may be wrong, however I do not have very high expectations for their second album and don't expect it to quite live up to their first.



So far it seems as though I rather dislike Alt-J, I don't, in fact I went through a phase where I really did like them (but as I have said earlier, the novelty has sort of worn off now). What I first noticed about AlT-J was the singer's voice, unique as far as I know, and I think that's the best aspect of the band, or rather the aspect that makes them stand out from any other, I may even go as far to say that its the reason for their recent success. But when he does sing, and especially in Matilda, it just really flows and fits together so well.

Contrary to a few people, Matilda is my favourite ∆ song, but here are three of perhaps their most well known songs off the album An Awesome Wave.







2 comments: